04 May, 2005

 

A real post.

Well, I got the blog set up. The thing is, after all the messing around getting it working, I didn't have a clue about what to write.

I can talk forever about anything and love a good argument (not the shouty kind), but faced with a blank textbox, my mind goes so clear it would make a Zen master jealous. It's like having an invisible audience.

Luckily for me, just as I was sitting there empty-headed, the doorbell rang.

About a month ago, I got visited by Jehovah's witnesses. Anne and Nova (seriously) started with a pretty basic "isn't the state of the world terrible?" approach, leading up to how things would be much better if I joined them. Normally, I get rid of sales people as quickly as possible, whether they're selling windows, driveways or deities. This time, however, something stopped me.

Anne, when she found out I'm an atheist, asked how vision could possibly have evolved - how can something as complex as an eye have come about without design? So I gave her a theory - people really shouldn't ask questions like that unless they're prepared for quite a long answer. In the end, I was at the door for almost an hour.

They've been back a few times since. We've argued about the state of the world, homosexuality, evolution, blood transfusions and more. They've brought props - books, magazines, videos.

Today they've brought me a book to read - "Life - How did it get here? By evolution or creation?", and another Watchtower magazine.

Now, normally I steer clear of religious discussion with people I don't know - people can believe whatever they want for all I care, and I don't like to offend. In this case, though, I've decided to make an exception.

They're trying to convert me. That's a pretty hostile move, as far as belief goes. So I've decided to mount a counter-attack. I'm not giving up until they stop calling on me or I convince them to accept my beliefs. Like I say, this isn't something I'd normally do, but the way I see it, they started it. Anyway, I'm enjoying it and apparently so are they.

Well, that's my first real post written. Hopefully now I've started, it will be easier to continue.

Comments:
Last time I had them round it was a couple of young Swedish boys, I had the Saab 96 at the time, so we ended talking about cars instead, in the garage, with them admiring my Stag.

Yours sounds a bit like an episode from Black Books.
 
They sent a beautiful woman to my house several months ago. Mid-way through her spiel, she stopped and asked if I would let her touch my freshly-picked afro. It is quite clear to me now that these people have severe boundary issues.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Social bookmarks

Delicious

Bookmark this on Delicious

Links

Support The Commons









This site:

Free your code:

archives