31 July, 2006

 

We officially rock

Creative Computing (the department I'm in at at Coventry University), just had the feedback from the external examiner.

It's all good. Our teaching of programming, especially, was praised. I won't copy sections of the report verbatim, but it did include words like "acclaim", "innovative", "motivated", "superior" (of results, deservedly and in comparison to similar institutions), "novel" and "successful". :)

It's good to get some external feedback, to be honest. Although the other members of the department have been very supportive and positive of the way we've taught programming this year, you can't help wondering if they're just too polite to say "WTF are you doing?".

The key features of our approach aren't particularly strange, really. We used Python (after many years of Java), objects late (shock!), did graphics and games in the first half of the academic year (and saw some great student work because of it), etc.

Perhaps the biggest difference from previous years, though, was the number of exercises we gave to the students. They did lots of programming, but thanks to our studio system, they had plenty of supported time to do them in.

Oh, and we walked into each lecture with no slides. Just a Knoppix CD and the intention of rolling up our sleeves and coding in front of a live audience. The ability to modify the examples, fix the occasional intentional typo (and more than occasional unintentional one) and generally respond to queries made a difference to the way lectures worked. They were more relaxed, more interactive and I think the students got a lot more out of them. I know I did - it was a lot of fun.


Comments:
Good news indeed :-) Those lectures sound quite fun, certainly better than the ones I had. Sorry Sarah (it was you if I remember rightly), but there's just no way to make Java interesting to me :-P On the other hand, Python rocks and is certainly a lot better for playing with due to the interactive interpreter. Also, some of my favourite lectures were the ones without a fixed structure, where we were learning something by virtue of the lecturer actually doing things. A big whiteboard, a few different colour markers and a lecturer with a personality can work wonders.

Keep up the good work :-)
 
I don't think Java is uninteresting, just that it's not great as a first language (just ignore static for now. oh, and void. And public, class, args, brackets. Yes, it prints "Hello, World!".).

And don't say sorry to Sarah too much - she had at least as much (and probably more) to do with making the new modules successful as I did.
 
Gosh, you're implying that I like Java, which I don't :) Not that I dislike it, but right now I can't think of a single application where it would still be my language of choice. And besides, it gives people RSI!
 
Heh, it was more of an apology due to me saying that my first-year programming modules didn't exactly inspire enthusiasm. I can't remember how much of what was taught by who, so extend the apology as required.

I think it's not so much that Java isn't interesting, but more due to the quality (or lack thereof) of the tools surrounding it. Everything post-"compiling" is kinda lacking too. Not wanting to generalise, but most things written in Java are slow and bulky. What's the classic quote? "Saying Java is good because it works on all platforms is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders."

Java rant over for now :-P
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Social bookmarks

Delicious

Bookmark this on Delicious

Links

Support The Commons









This site:

Free your code:

archives